This blog is brought to you by your friends at BrideBox Wedding Albums– the highest quality DIY Wedding Albums available direct to brides. Your precious wedding memories deserve to be shared for years to come, our incredible quality albums do just that. Join our mailing list today to get 20% off your future album! We hope you enjoy this post!
So, your partner finally popped the question, and you’re experiencing one of the best days of your life. The natural reaction is to want to shout it from the rooftops for everyone to hear. Or in our generation, share it with all of social media. Before you get ahead of yourself, there are a few tips for you to follow:
- Soak in the moment. This is one of the only times in your lives where you’ll be able to know in the moment that you are starting a new chapter. Before you start pulling out your phone, just enjoy that blissful time with your FIANCÉ. Get used to saying that word too – it doesn’t hurt to repeat it over and over again (spoiler alert: it doesn’t get old).
- Tell your immediate family first. Your parents, siblings, grandparents, and children need to the be the first on the list. Not just a text, but a phone call and preferably over video chat if in person is not available.
- Make phone calls to the rest of your VIPs. This includes who you think would be in your bridal party, any close friends, and all family members that would be invited. Extended family and friends don’t necessarily need a phone call, but try to squeeze in at least a text!
- Don’t specify your wedding date on social media. Some people will take that as an open invitation to come to your wedding. Your wallet will thank us later for not having another 500 people show up to your special day!
- Respond and thank every comment, text, and phone call. Your friends and family will feel appreciated and not disrespected. Even though this time is about you, remember the people that have supported you through the rest of your life.
- Host an engagement party. You’ll want to celebrate you, and so will all of your closest family and friends. Plus, this is the easiest way to celebrate without going to countless dinners and happy hours!
Photo Credit: Jose Villa
Okay, now you have the basic rules down and you’re ready to get some inspiration on what your post should actually look like! These are a few ideas that may spark your interest and ensure hundreds of likes and comments:
1. Create An Engagement Video
If your fiancé didn’t spring for a videographer for your proposal, an engagement video is not off the table! Consider creating a video of you announcing together and showing off your new shiny ring. Or, create a Flipagram with your pictures from throughout your relationship.
Photo Credit: Flytographer
2. Tell Your Love Story
Who doesn’t love hearing about a happily ever after? We know we do! Your friends, family, and whomever else is connected with you on social media will love you opening up about how you met, how he asked, your plans for the future, and everything in between.
Photo Credit: Emily Katharine Photography
3. Use a Prop
Bring on the mugs, signs, children, dogs. Yes, that ring does make you look engaged, and, yes, we absolutely love it!
Photo Credit: Jaclyn Marie Photography
4. Ring Selfie
This is straight to the point but your family and friends will love it. Take it with a great background. A beautiful landscape is always nice, but a brand new fiancé and his reaction are even better! Combine this with #2 and you’ll have a winner!!
Photo Credit: Dandy Pear
5. An Engagement Picture Together
If you’re looking to keep your announcement more subtle, post an adorable picture of you and your partner together after you’ve gotten engaged that slyly shows your new sparkly accessory. Caption it with the excitement that you both feel in embarking on this new chapter together.
Photo Credit: Rebecca Yale Photography
With engagement season upon us, either you’re gearing up for this announcement or a lot of your social media friends are. With this guide, you can’t go wrong. Just remember, soak in the moment, and tell all of your VIP’s before posting it for the world to see. This is a special and intimate time in your life and you’ll want to remember every feeling and moment. Congratulations! We can’t wait to hear all about your engagements and soon-to-be weddings.
Photo Credit: This Modern Romance