This blog is brought to you by your friends at BrideBox Wedding Albums – the best DIY wedding albums available. Join our mailing list today to get 20% off your future album! We hope you enjoy this post!
Your first year of marriage is full of new experiences, ranging from amazing to not so good. You’ve finally settled into the married life and are enjoying all the benefits of having a lifelong partner. To celebrate your first anniversary, you’ll want to do something special. Although every wedding anniversary is special, the first anniversary is one of the most momentous because it marks the success of your marriage and sets the foundation for many more years to come. Give your spouse a meaningful and symbolic gift for your first anniversary with these fantastic ideas.
1. The traditional first anniversary gift is paper, so profess your love for your partner with a beautiful journal filled with handwritten love letters. You can list out all the different reasons you love and appreciate him, or you can write heartfelt poems whenever you feel the urge to celebrate your relationship. Feel free to get creative with this gift idea.
Photo Credit: CLWorkshop
2. Monogrammed stationery is a classic wedding anniversary gift, thanks to its elegance and timelessness. You can either have his initials or his full name engraved or stamped into thick, weighted paper and envelopes. Include a pack of stamps for a nice extra touch.
Photo Credit: One Charming Life
3. Does your honey like to write, jot down notes or sketch? An engraved journal, notebook or sketchbook all make great paper anniversary gifts. You can tuck a note from you inside the front cover so that you’ll always be with him.
Photo Credit: Jenni Bick
4. Pay homage to the traditional paper gift with a poster of a world map to put on your bedroom or living room wall. You can mark all the places you’ve already been to together and plan out all your future travels by mapping them out.
Photo Credit: Word Bird Shop
5. Another fun take on the traditional paper anniversary gift is tickets to an event. Whether it’s a sports game, concert or plane ticket, this is a thoughtful gift that you can easily customize and make as extravagant or as simple as you’d like.
Photo Credit: Fete
6. Clocks are the modern take on a first anniversary gift, so if you want to go with a more contemporary anniversary gift you can give him a cuckoo clock, grandfather clock, alarm clock or just a simple clock to go on his desk at work. Every time the clock chimes, he’ll think of you and all the wonderful times you’ve spent together.
Photo Credit: Homes Kid
7. A truly special first anniversary present is a nice watch. This is another gift that can be as extravagant or as simple as you’d like; you can purchase a fancy designer watch that will be his number one accessory, or you can buy a fun, inexpensive watch with cartoon characters on it from your favorite show. There’s plenty of room to be creative with this lovely gift idea.
Photo Credit: Hodinkee
8. In addition to the traditional paper and modern clock gifts, there are gemstones that go along with the first anniversary too. Gold is precious and pure, symbolizing wealth for the future, while the pearl is the representative gemstone. A beautiful piece of gold jewelry with pearls would make the perfect first anniversary gift for the one who loves jewelry. Necklaces, rings and bracelets are all great ideas, especially if they are made of gold or pearls.
Photo Credit: Vivian Feiler Designs
9. Flowers are a classic wedding anniversary gift, and the first anniversary flower is the carnation. Often overlooked as a simple bloom, carnations can actually be quite beautiful, especially when put together in a large bouquet. Carnations come in a variety of colors so you can even choose his favorite color!
Photo Credit: Buds n Bows
10. A beautiful wedding album commemorating your special day is the ideal first anniversary gift, if you haven’t already made one. Tell the story of your magical wedding day through your photos and relive all the wonderful memories and emotions of that amazing day.
11. If none of the above gifts strike your fancy, a wonderful first wedding anniversary present is to plan a romantic date or weekend getaway. Aside from your honeymoon, you may not have had the chance to take a vacation together so even if you only have time for one night, a romantic staycation will be greatly appreciated. Taking the time to relax and just enjoy one another is important for any healthy marriage.
Photo Credit: Architecture & Interior Design
Giving your spouse a present for your first wedding anniversary is a meaningful part of marriage. How couples choose to celebrate this milestone will vary, so choose a gift that is appropriate for you, your budget and your relationship. Sharing a token of your appreciation for being a wonderful partner this past year will certainly set the tone for future anniversaries together. Be open and honest with your spouse about your expectations on anniversary gifts so that you are both on the same page and will be able to happily celebrate this special day.
Give your partner the perfect anniversary gift this year: a beautiful wedding anniversary album.
Get more anniversary articles and ideas.
Including a “Complete Anniversary Gift Guide” with a unique idea per year
Roses and Flower Delivery the Same Day. Also available plants & gift baskets