St. Patrick’s Day is a cultural and religious celebration in Ireland, commemorating the patron saint of Ireland with public parades and festivals. Because St. Patrick’s Day occurs during Lent every year, one tradition is that the restrictions on eating and drinking alcohol are lifted for the day, thus leading to the popular culture perception of alcohol consumption on this holiday. No matter your relation to the holiday, you can celebrate the Irish culture and heritage with a beautiful themed wedding. From shamrocks to corned beef to green tablescapes, there’s plenty of amazing ways to incorporate a St. Paddy’s Day theme into your wedding day.
1. A green shamrock carefully placed on top of a twine-wrapped table setting is a great addition to your wedding reception. If you can’t find fresh shamrocks, plastic will do too.
Photo Credit: Better Homes and Gardens
2. Green bridesmaid dresses look beautiful when paired with fresh wildflowers and plenty of green foliage, paying homage to the traditional St. Patrick’s Day color.
Photo Credit: Paul Johnson Photography
3. This Lucky in Love banner is easy to DIY and channels the luck of the Irish to your wedding day and marriage! Hang it up over your dessert table, buffet table or wedding cake and save it to decorate your new home together.
Photo Credit: Leah McEachern Photography
4. Green shamrock cutouts and gold calligraphy make these pretty place cards. You can handwrite each of your place cards and table settings, or have them printed to save time.
Photo Credit: Sara & Rocky Photography
5. Incorporate the St. Paddy’s Day theme throughout your whole wedding with green accents to your wedding day attire. Add a green jacket and sash to your wedding dress, and have him wear a matching green shirt and boutonniere! And of course, a Just Married sign made of clovers is the perfect accessory for your big day.
Photo Credit: Michael Paul Photo
6. What St. Patrick’s Day wedding would be complete without a green cocktail? This Sparkling Shamrock Cocktail is a mixture of your favorite champagne and Midori, which is a green melon-flavored liqueur. Garnish with honeydew melon balls, which also happen to be green!
Photo Credit: Formal Fringe
7. Macarons were one of the most popular wedding desserts last year, and these green ones make the perfect display for your gorgeous engagement ring. Create a tower of macarons in assorted colors and flavors, or ask your caterer if they can dye them all green to fit your theme!
Photo Credit: Leah McEachern Photography
8. If you’re planning on including your pooch in your nuptials, either as the ring bearer or another attendant, you can dress him up with a green shamrock bow tie! Everyone will love how dapper he looks in his formalwear.
Photo Credit: Kathleen Hertel Photography
9. These chocolate stout cupcakes with Bailey’s Irish cream cheese frosting look so delicious we won’t judge you if you want to do a trial run before your wedding! Top them off with green sprinkles and you’ve got yourself the perfect St. Paddy’s Day dessert.
Photo Credit: Skinny Taste
10. A bouquet of green carnations is simple yet striking, and would look absolutely stunning in your bridesmaids’ hands as they walk down the aisle. Wrap your bouquet in white satin to differentiate from their dark green satin.
Photo Credit: Flowers Kid
11. If your groom or his groomsmen need a little good luck charm on the wedding day, these clover cufflinks are the ideal accessory. Emerald green and gold are commonly associated with St. Patrick’s Day, so these cufflinks will perfectly match your wedding’s color scheme.
Photo Credit: John & Joseph Photography
12. Combine two of the best indulgences, beer and cake, with this Guinness groom’s cake. Make it a truly tasty treat by having chocolate Guinness flavored cake on the inside and delicious Irish cream cheese frosting to decorate!
Photo Credit: Scott Plauche Photography
13. Offer an Irish buffet of goodies, from mini shepherds pies to fish and chips and Irish whiskey caramels to Guinness pudding. We suggest serving everything in mini form so guests can try a little bit of everything!
Photo Credit: Morgan Trinker Photography
14. When you’re putting together your floral centerpieces, what better flower to include in an Irish-themed wedding than Bells of Ireland? These pretty green stalks look great in clear vases alone, or paired with white peonies or roses.
Photo Credit: Corbin Gurkin
Whether you are honoring your Irish heritage or you want to celebrate your favorite holiday, St. Patrick’s Day can be a wonderful theme for your wedding. You can add small touches to your wedding décor, such as table settings, place cards and green desserts, or you can make it a big part of your day with your color palette, reception decorations, centerpieces and your outfit. No matter how many Irish-themed touches you add to your wedding day, having a St. Paddy’s Day themed wedding is the perfect good luck charm for your marriage.